WAEC Syllabus for English 2021/2022 & Textbooks Download PDF
Here is a detailed WAEC English syllabus for 2021. This WAEC syllabus for the English Language covers the area of concentration and WAEC English topics to read for the Exam.
With this, the 2021 WAEC candidates will be able to know the topics to expect WAEC English questions from and the best and recommended WAEC English textbooks to use when studying.
This will help candidates to know what they should be expecting in the exam and that will help them to prepare ahead of the exam and have better chances of obtaining better grades.
Proper and better use of this syllabus will help candidates to score nothing less than an A or B without depending on malpractice.
Area of concentration and WAEC English topics to read for Exam.
The Essay Writing section of the WAEC English exam carries 50 marks of the total marks. Topics to study in this section are the following.
- Letter writing (Formal or Informal)
- Writing a speech
- How to write a narrative
- Making description
- Debate writing and presentation of argumentation
- Report writing
- Writing article.
- Essay writing.
- Writing of exposition.
The summary section requires candidates to read a prose passage of about 300 words and summarize it.
Hints for this section.
- Your write up should meet the number of words stated on the Exam paper (Mostly, not less than 450 words)
- Let your write-up be unique and related to the topic. Do not deviate from the subject matter you are writing about.
- Make sure to paragraph your write-up properly using a formal format with proper arrangement of your points and emphasis.
- Avoid making grammatical errors, wrong punctuation, or misspelling of words.
This section of the paper covers 40 marks of the total marks. The WAEC English Language comprehension section consists of two paragraphs to be answered in 50 minutes.
Each of the paragraphs has over 300 words.
What you should study in this section?
- Learn how to read passages carefully and answer questions from them.
- Get past questions to see sample passages, read them, and answer the questions in them.
- Questions from the comprehension passages are OBJ questions.
What to study?
LEXIS and STRUCTURES: The topics to study under lexis and structures are;
- Idioms and idiomatic expressions.
- Dictionary meanings of words.
- Sequence of tenses
- Pronouns and matching of pronouns in sentences
- Noun referents
- Prepositions in sentences
- Use of figurative
WAEC Oral English Syllabus for 2021
Note: This is still part of the 2021 WAEC Syllabus for English Language and the Oral paper is paper 3 of the English Language Exam.
Listening Comprehension: Topics to study under listening comprehension
- Test vowels and consonants
- Stress and stress patterns
- Diphthongs and Monophthongs
CONSONANTS: Important topics to cover in this section are;
- Single Consonants
- Consonant sounds and clusters
VOWELS: Cover the following topics
- Vowel system
- Pure Vowels
- Sound contrasts
STRESS: Topics to study
- Primary Stress
- Emphatic stress
- Word Stress
- Sentence Stress
INTONATION: What to study in this section
- Intonation patterns
- Pitch fall and rise patterns
Other important topics to cover;
- Syllable Structure
- Phonetic Symbols and transcription
- Patterns in Sentences
- Phrases and Clauses
- Concord Rules
Recommended Textbooks and materials to use
Now that you have known the topics to read for the exam, I want to recommend the following textbooks and materials for WAEC candidates to use along when doing their studies.
Below are the best and recommended textbooks to read for the 2021 WAEC English exam.
- Practice in Spoken English written by Attah, M.
- English Lexis and Structure (Revised Edition), written by Bamgbose, A.
- New Oxford Secondary English Course, written by Banjo, A.
- Essential Oral English, written by Caesar, O.
- Mastering English Usage and Communication Skills written by Egbe, D.
- Oral English by Elugbe, B.
- Senior English Project 3 by Grant, N., and Co.
- Oral English at Your Fingertips, written by Idris, U.
- Common Errors in English, written by Nnamonu, S.
- WAEC Syllabus for Mathematics
- Civic Education syllabus
- Marketing syllabus
- Chemistry syllabus
- Biology syllabus
Other important materials to use are:
The WAEC English past questions and answers: This is the best material to use along with the 2021 WAEC English syllabus.
As you make progress in your study, do well to try answering the questions from the past questions to see if you are progressing in knowledge or not.
More for you:
Do you still need additional information and assistance in 2021? If yes, then use the comment section below to drop a message for us.