If you can use this WAEC mathematics syllabus 2021 effectively, then your chance of scoring an A in this subject is guaranteed.
One of the most recommended materials for all WAEC candidates is the WAEC syllabus.
Since all candidates will write these subjects, it is highly recommended for all candidates to use this syllabus too.
The WAEC maths syllabus below covers both the area of concentration, the topics to read for this WAEC mathematics exam, and the best textbooks to use for studying.
There is so much to learn from this and all that you need to pass this subject is in the mathematics syllabus for WAEC 2021 below.
Syllabus and Topics to Read for WAEC Mathematics Exam
Below are the topics that 2021 WAEC mathematics questions will be set from. The topics below are from your SS1 – SS3 scheme of work.
Scroll to the bottom to download this syllabus in PDF format.
Number bases and Operation:
Topics to Learn:
- Study and know how to convert numbers from one base to another
- Learn the basic number of bases operations
- Know how to convert numbers base 10 and vice versa.
- See Secret to prepare and pass the 2021 WAEC Exam
Modular Arithmetic: Topics to Learn:
- Modulo Arithmetic.
- Addition of modulo arithmetic
- subtraction of modulo arithmetic
- multiplication of modulo arithmetic
Basic operations: Topics to Study
- Significant figures.
Percentages Operations: Topics to cover
- Percentage error
- Profit and loss
- Interest and lost
- Simple and compound interest
Indices: Topics to study:
- Standard form
- negative indices
- Fractional indices.
More Topics For WAEC Mathematics 2021
Logarithms: Topics to study
- Indices and logarithms
- Rules of logarithms
- logarithms table
- Antilogarithms (antilog).
Syllabus for other subjects:
- English Language syllabus
- Civic education syllabus
- Marketing syllabus
- Download syllabus for all WAEC subjects here
Sequence and Series: Topics to study
Sets: Topics to read:
- Universal sets
- finite set
- infinite sets
- empty/null sets
- Disjoint sets.
Logic and Logical Reasoning: Topics to read:
- True statements.
- False statements
- Truth table
- Negation of statements
- Simple statements
Surds: Topics to study:
- Simplification of surds
- Rationalization of surds
- Basic operations of surds
Matrices: Topics to study
- Types of matrices.
- Identification of order and notation
Basic operations of matrices:
- Addition of matrices.
- Subtraction of matrices.
- Multiplication of matrices.
Financial Arithmetic: Topics to cover:
- Calculation of depreciation
- Computation of amortization.
- Solving Annuities problems
Variation: Important topics to cover
- Expression of direct variations
- Application of inverse and partial variations.
- Solve practical on joint variations.
Algebraic: Topics to cover
- Formation of algebraic expressions
- Solving algebraic expressions problems
- Evaluating algebraic expressions
- Binary Operations
- Linear equations and Simultaneous linear equations
The subject of a Formula
- Change of a subject of formula in an equation
More Topics To Read
Quadratic Equations: Cover the following
- Study how to solve quadratic equations
- Know how to form a quadratic equation from a given root.
- Learn how to apply quadratic equation solutions
- Quadratic functions
- Graphs of Linear equation
Questions and answers solution for all subjects:
- Mathematics sample solution for 2021
- English Language sample solution for 2021
- Civic education sample solution for 2021
- Marketing sample solution for 2021
- See exam solution for all WAEC subjects here
Linear Graph: Area of focus
- Table of values
- Root of graph
- Locating coordinates of points
- Interpretation of graphs,
- Learn how to draw quadratic graphs
Important Mathematics topics to read
- Algebraic Fractions
- Areas of all shapes
- Volumes of all shapes including solids and compound shapes.
- Measurement of angles at any given point
- Construction of angles
- Types of angles
Other topics to cover extensively
- Tangent and radius.
- Coordination of Geometry of straight lines
- Concept and coordinate of the x-y plane.
Trigonometry: Topics to cover
- Sine and Cosine graphs.
- Calculation of distances
Calculus: Topics to study
- algebraic functions
Statistics: Topics to study
- Frequency distribution
- Distribution of data on histograms, pie charts, and bar charts.
- Learn how to calculate mean, median, and mode.
- Cumulative frequency
- Measures of Dispersion
Probability: Important topics to cover
- Experimental probability
- Theoretical probability.
- Addition of probability
- Multiplication of probability
- Interpretation of “or” and “and”
Recommended Textbooks For WAEC Mathematics
The best textbooks to use when studying for the 2021 WAEC maths exam are as follows. This textbook will give you a breakdown and explanation of each of the topics in the syllabus above.
Guidelines for using your Textbooks properly for a better result:
- Firstly, choose the easy topic and complete it. You can complete these kinds of topics very fast within a short period of time.
- When reading, take small notes of some vital points and form your own note with it.
- If you have completed any topic, then look for past questions on that topic and try answering them.
- Check and take note of the topics that most of the exam questions are always set from.
- Don’t try to remember everything you read by cramming, rather, just understand the concept of what the topic is all about.
- After studying for a long time, Take a little break and relax your brain.
- Discuss difficult problems and topics with your friend.
- Get a mentor or teacher to help you plan and choose the most important part of the syllabus
- Always have a daily reading target and try your best to achieve them
- Form your own note and Set Questions for yourself as you cover your syllabus.
Your Notebook: Your SS1 – SS3 notebook/lesson notes are another good material to study with. Follow the step-by-step explanations and workings as you were taught in the classroom.
WAEC Maths Area of Concentration.
The WAEC area of concentration below also covers other recommended ways to prepare for this WAEC maths Exam.
Two Mathematics Rules to use for any mathematical operations
- BODMAS or BIDMAS
1. BODMAS/BIDMAS: BODMAS is a very important sequential order for solving mathematical problems. BODMAS means:
b. BIDMAS: BIDMAS is the same as BODMAS. The full meaning of BIDMAS.
2. PEMDAS is another rule/method used for the simplification or evaluating complicated numerical expressions.
From past records, candidates who study effectively for the WAEC exam always perform better. So prepare very well using the following:
Syllabus: As I said before, the WAEC Mathematics syllabus 2021 contains all the WAEC maths area of concentration to use when studying for the exam.
Moreso, the syllabus, will also tell you the topics that WAEC maths questions will be set from (the topics to read) and the textbooks to use.
Past questions: The WAEC maths past questions comes with solved answers for all the questions that were asked in previous years.
WAEC repeats past questions every year. In fact, about 90% of the questions that you will see are repeated from previous years.
I have said much. So do well to follow this and use this syllabus effectively if you want to write and pass this exam by yourself.