Here is a detailed NECO Syllabus for Civic Education 2020. NECO candidates are to use this syllabus to do their studies for the exam.
From the syllabus, candidates will be able to know the topics that NECO Civic Education questions will be set from and the topics they should read for the exam.
This syllabus is released as a NECO 2020 area of concentration for NECO civic education to help candidates prepare in the right way and pass this subject.
Surprisingly, this syllabus is free of charge and can be downloaded in PDF so that you can use it offline to do your studies.
Topics to read and area of concentration for Civic Education.
The following are the recommended topics from the NECO Civic Education syllabus for candidates to read for the exam.
Introduction to Civic Education
- Key introduction and explanation
Citizenship Study: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of citizenship.
- Explanation of citizenship education
- Primary aims of citizenship education.
- The civil duties and obligations of citizens.
Nationalism: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of nationalism;
- National consciousness.
- Nationalistic roles the citizens;
- Civic problems in our society.
NATIONAL ETHICS: Candidates should know the following
- National Obligations
Value: Candidates should know the following
- The meaning and explanation of values.
- Types of values
- Benefits of values.
Human Rights: Candidates should know the following
- Explanation of human rights in your country
- Fundamental human rights in your country
- Human Rights violation
- History of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- The 7 core freedoms of UDHR;
- Function and duty of the UDHR;
- Human rights limitation
National Law and Order: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of Law and Order in your country
- Components and properties of National Law and Order;
- The advantages of Law and Order
- Constituted authority and it types
- The roles of a constituted authority.
Responsible Parenthood: Candidates should know the following
- A basic explanation of a responsible parenthood
- The duties of responsible parents;
- Roles of responsible parenthood in national unity and development.
Traffic Regulations: Candidates should know the following
- Explanation of traffic.
- Traffic signals and their meanings
- The importance of traffic regulation for safety.
- Citizens and government duties in maintaining traffic.
Relationships: Candidates should know the following
- Inter-personal relationship and explanation
- Definition and Types
- How to promotes interpersonal relationships
- Inter-communal relationships and their importance
- Societal and inter-communal conflicts and how to resolve them
Cultism: Candidates should know the following
- The origin and history of cultism
- Cult groups and their symbols;
- Activities of cultism in our society
- The effects and consequences of cultism in our society
- How to prevent cultism in our society.
Drugs: Candidates should know the following
- Drug Abuse and misuse
- Definition and explanation of drug abuse and drug misuse
- Abused drugs
- Effects of drug abuse.
- Drug addicts;
- How to prevent drug abuse and drug misuse
- Drugs laws and agencies
Human Trafficking: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of human trafficking.
- History and origin of human trafficking.
- Consequence and effect of human trafficking.
- How to stop and prevent human trafficking
The NECO Syllabus for Civic Education 2020/2021 continues. Read to the bottom to see the recommended textbooks.
Hiv/Aids: Candidates should know the following
- Full meaning of HIV and AIDS.
- The origin of HIV and AIDS.
- Transmission of HIV
- Symptoms of HIV & AIDS
- Effects and prevention of HIV
Youth Empowerment: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of youth empowerment;
- Youth empowerment skills and its importance.
- The role of government in youth empowerment.
Governmental System: Candidates should know the following
- The origin, definition, and explanation of the term “Government”
- Arms of government
- Structure of Government
- Functions of Government
- Tiers of government.
Democracy; Candidates should know the following
- Meaning, definitions, and explanation of democracy.
- Types of democracy
- Features of democracy
- Democracy and its importance
- The pillars of democracy;
- Common problems in democracy.
Rule of Law; Candidates should know the following
- The definition and explanation of rule of law and its features
- importance and problems of rule of law.
National Development: Candidates should know the following
- Explanation of national development
- Effects of democracy on national development
- How Rule of law affects national development
- The effects of good government on national development
Political Apathy: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and explanation of political apathy
- Reasons for political apathy.
- Effect of political apathy.
- Interests of followers.
- How to end political apathy.
Popular Participation: Candidates should know the following
- Definition and types of popular participation;
- The societal need for popular participation
- Modes and kinds of popular participation
- The role of popular participation in politics.
Civil Society: Candidates should know the following
- Definition of civil society and its functions.
- The role of civil society and why it is needed.
- Common problems faced in a civil society
Public Service: Candidates should know the following;
- The key definitions and explanation of public services.
- Duties of public services.
- Problems in public services
- Public service improvement.
NECO Recommended Textbooks for Civic Education
There are many Civic Education textbooks published by different authors but there are some of them which are better to study with than the others.
Below are the NECO recommended textbooks for Civic Education which had been certified for comprehensive studies.
- Title; Civic Education. The Author; Dimgbaobas D.
- The Title; New Millenium Civic Education. The Authors: Written by S.I. Onuoha & Co.
- Textbook Title: Comprehensive Civic Education. The Authors: Written by Nwebo & Meneke Obiageri
I am sure this 2020 NECO syllabus for Civic Education will surely help NECO candidates to study smartly to meet their goals and perform well in the exam