Whats The Difference And Similarities Between Job And Work- The terms work and job are often used interchangeably. Even though, the two terms have some similarities, differences also exist between them. In the following paragraphs, we would be highlighting the differences and also similarities existing between job and work. At the end, we would be looking at seven (7) benefits of holding a job or work. So lets begin: difference and similarities between job and work.
Whats The Difference And Similarities Between Job And Work
What Is Work
The term “work” can have varying meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Generally, work can be defined as any activity that an individual engage in to achieve a set goal, complete a task or turn out a product /service.
For a student, work is being understood as the application of energy or force to produce a change (I mean as studied from basic science or physics textbook). Examples of work in this context include lifting a heavy object (physical work) or pushing a car, solving a maths problem (mental work ).
To an adult in the working class, work is often associated with employment (could be paid or unpaid). Although most employment are usually paid ones. So work here is defined as a paid activity you perform in order to make a living. There are different areas people get to work e. g education, healthcare, finance, etc. Payment can be in form of wages or salary. The unpaid work most times are called volunteer work where you render a service without receiving any payment.
Aside from earning a living, work can also be seen as an opportunity to make positive contributions and impact in your society. Also work gives you status and some form of identity in the society. A lot of people find fulfillment in their work.
What Is Job?
On the other hand, the term Job is more specific in meaning. Job can be defined as the position or role being held by an individual in an organization. The individual usually gets paid for holding such position. In a job position, there is usually a structured set of tasks or duties that must be completed, if the individual is going to get paid at the stipulated time.
Job is in different categories:
- Entry-level position
- Executive position
Job is majorly done to earn an income and live better lives. However, you could also get a job that would not only earn you some good income but also give some sense of fulfillment (this is the heart desire of many!).
A job usually come with its tasks and responsibilities. Your level of education and training will determine the kind of job you get and the responsibilities that comes with such a job.
What Is The Difference Between Job And Work
Even though the terms work and job are used interchangeably, some differences exist between them.
- A job is usually a particular position assigned to an individual in an organization. For example, the job of a receptionist in a Cement factory. On the other hand, work is seen as any activity that an individual engages in order to achieve a set goal. For instance, an housewife has a lot of work (housechores) to do on a saturday morning. In this case, the goal is to keep the home clean and tidy.
- A job is usually structured with well-defined roles and responsibilities for the person to take up such job. For instance , a teller working in a commercial bank has well-defined roles and responsibilities. Work could be structured or unstructured, could be white-collar or manual labour, paid or unpaid it depends on the context and circumstance.
- A job usually requires a specific kind of education or training. For example, to get the job of a medical doctor, you must go through specialized training (e.g 6 years of intensive training in the medical school). Work may not necessarily require a particular kind of training/ education. For instance, for you to get involved in manual labour such as sweeping the streets/highway, you wont need any certification to do such.
- A job is usually guided by a set of principles and policies while work may not really be guided by some principles/ policies.
- Job is usually done in exchange for a salary or compensation. In contrast, work could be paid or unpaid, it depends on the circumstance.
- Job is mainly used in a sentence as a noun. For example,
“I got a Job last week”
While work could be used as both a noun and a verb in a sentence. For example:
“I work in a very famous company in Apapa”- Work as a verb
“My work does not permit taking of alcohol in the evenings”- Work as a noun
Job is usually a structured position that an individual occupies within an organization. It is usually guided by a set of principles and policies. A particular training/ education is usually required to do a job and salary/ compensation is being paid at a set time.
Work involves a set of activities done to achieve a set objective. Work could be structured or unstructured, paid or unpaid, depending on the circumstance.
Similarities Between Job And Work
A lot of similarities exist between work and job. Here are some of them:
- Both work and job usually involve doing some tasks to end up in a particular outcome or result. Both usually require some degree of effort or commitment.
- Both job and work require some level of skill and expertise.
- Both job and work gives you the opportunity to earn income.
- Both job and work can give some level of satisfaction and fulfillment
- Both job and work can contribute to the personal growth of an individual. Top of Form
Seven (7) Benefits Of Holding A Job Or Work
Job or work as we have seen in the similarities, involve undergoing some specific tasks in order to achieve a goal. Let us now consider what people stand to gain when they get involved in a job or work:
#1 To earn an income
This is the major reason people go to get a job or work. It is also the primary benefit you derive from holding a job or doing a work. What you earn from doing a job or work is called wages, salary or compensation. Your level of income is determined by the kind of job/work you do. Also the higher your education/ training, the more income you are likely to earn.
#2 You gain friends
Another benefit you derive from working or holding a job is the fact that you get to meet people. And the amazing thing is that some of the people you meet end up as your life-long friends. Infact, some people have so blended with their workplace that they see such as a home-away-from-home. When you see some people rushing to work in the morning, sometimes it may not just be to catch with outstanding tasks. Rather, it could be to see their colleagues and catch up on some 5minutes office gist before work starts. You know what I mean!
#3 You gain some confidence and satisfaction
Aside money, confidence and satisfaction is what you benefit from holding a job or work. With a job or work, you can comfortably take care of bills and have some good life. You can raise your head high and square your shoulders even among your mates because you are employed. But unemployment will reduce your self-confidence.
#4 Your self-worth and respect is increased
Holding a job or work increases your self-worth. Friends, families and even neighbors would respect you because you are engaged in a job or work. But for an unemployed person, even your siblings may avoid your calls at times thinking you want to beg for money from them as usual.
#5 It gives you an opportunity to contribute to your society
Holding a job or work is an opportunity to impact or give back to your society. For instance, a medical doctor wont only earn good income but would be saving lives. That is a community service. A construction worker that works to fix the road enables people travel in their vehicles easily and also prevent accident.
#6 It is an opportunity to network
Aside making friends with people at work, you can also get to form some good network for yourself. Some of those people, you couldn’t have meet them on a normal day if you were not employed. And you know some of those contacts could actually be very critical to your success in life.
#7 You are challenged intellectually
Getting involved in a job or work challenges your intellect. There could be times you need to do a difficult task, meet a deadline, work in a team and so on. All those helps challenge and improve your intellect. But if you are not involved in any job or work, you will feel as if a heap of sand is used to cover your brain! Or better put, the brain is being underworked.
Work or Job, get something doing. Both work and Job can put some money in your pocket, increase your self-worth, gives you identity. Moreso, job and work gives your opportunity to positively impact your society.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I work?
You work to :
Get an income
Increase your self-worth
Make positive impact in your society
To make more friends
How is “work and job” used in a sentence?
I don’t want to quit my job
Let us go to work on my farm
I work from home
What the different types of work?
Work could be in the following categories:
What is the difference between Job and Work?
A job is usually a specific role being held in an organization , usually with structured roles and responsibilities. The individual holding the job gets paid salary or compensation at a stipulated time.
Work is any set of activities carried out in order to achieve a goal. Work could be structured or unstructured. Also, work could be paid or unpaid.
What is the significance of job or work?
Work or job helps you gain some level of self-confidence and worth. You also get to earn some income which can be used to pay bills and settle some family obligations.
- www. byjus. com –Difference between work and job
- www. bergmanbrothers. com- 5 Reasons To Work (Other than money!)
- www. maxsolutions. com- au- What are the 8 different types of employment