Best University To Study Medicine In Nigeria- Medicine is one of the best science course to study both in Nigeria and other countries. It is a course with great career prospect and quite lucrative too. A number of universities in Nigeria (both private and public) offer medicine as a course. However, in the following paragraphs, we would be looking at the best university to study medicine in Nigeria and how to study medicine in such university.
Best University To Study Medicine In Nigeria
University of Ibadan
The university of Ibadan was established in 1948 as a public research university in Ibadan, Oyo state. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate programs in different fields like Medicine, Engineering, Law, Social Sciences, Environmental Design, Natural Sciences and Management. The campus is sited on a large expanse of land (over 2000 hectares of land) and is equipped with several modern facilities such as library, hostels, lecture halls, laboratories, computer centre, research centres, etc. The university which is the oldest university in Nigeria and is owned by the federal government of Nigeria, is highly reputed for academic excellence in terms of teaching and research.
Currently, the University of Ibadan is the best university to study medicine in Nigeria. The medical school is hosted by the college of medicine at the university.
College of Medicine At The University Of Ibadan
The college of medicine at the university of Ibadan is quite an outstanding one. The college is famous for its high standard and rigorous curriculum. The college is well-equipped with modern facilities to aid learning and research. The lecturers at the school are well- experienced and qualified medical professionals.
Medicine at the college is a six year program that comprises series of theoretical and practical trainings. Students have to go through different aspects of medicine during their study including: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology and others before graduation.
Students go through classroom teachings in different aspect of medicine and also some practicals. The practicals include clinical rotations in different hospitals and health care facilities, internships and housemanship. These practical aspects are aimed at preparing students for work life as a medical personnel.
The college of medicine at Ibadan has in the past years produced world-class medical professionals who are doing great today in Nigeria and even outside the country. And even till date, graduates of medicine from University of Ibadan are highly respected and sought after in the medical world.
How To Study Medicine At The University Of Ibadan
The process of getting admission to study Medicine at the university of Ibadan is actually a tedious one. The competition for admission is so fierce, who does not want to study in the number one medical university in the country?
The Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) is the body that regulates the study and practice of medicine in Nigeria. It is also responsible for accrediting and regulating medical schools in Nigeria. For you to become a medical doctor in Nigeria, you must have completed an MBBS program (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery from a reputable medical school).
The MBBS program is usually for a period of 6 years which is divided into two phases. The first phase, known as the pre-clinical phase involves basic medical sciences like anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry. The clinical phase includes internal medicine, pathology, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics and psychiatry.
After graduation from medical school , the student will be made to undergo a 1-year internship program in a reputable hospital where they work under the supervision of experienced medical doctors to acquire some practical medical training. After the completion of the internship, students are to sit for and pass the licensing exam regulated by MDCN. After passing the licensing exam, they can now be fully registered and licensed to practice medicine in Nigeria.
Requirements To Study Medicine At The University of Ibadan
Theses are the requirements to study Medicine at the University of Ibadan, the best university to study medicine in Nigeria:
- You must have least 5 credit passes in your O’level result (WAEC and NECO), including English and Mathematics and science subjects.
- Candidate should be at least 16 years old
- Choose the correct JAMB subject combination (Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Use of English)
- Have a good UTME score and beat the cut-off mark for post-UTME.
Direct Entry Requirements
UI also accepts direct entry to study Medicine and Surgery. These are the requirements:
- Get a minimum of 5 credits passes in O level at one sitting
- Obtain a direct entry form from JAMB
- A good degree in related fields
- Minimum of merit pass in National Certificate of Education, and National Diploma (ND) and other advanced level certificates.
What You Will Be Learning At College Of Medicine, University of Ibadan
The field of medicine is a very wide one with lots of subject matter to learn. However, come of the key subjects you will be learning include:
- Anatomy: This course deals with the structure and function of the human body
- Physiology: This deals with how the body works, most especially functions of cell, tissues and organs
- Biochemistry: This is the study of the chemical processes taking place in living organisms.
- Pharmacology: This is the study of drugs and the effects that have on the body
- Pathology: This is the study of diseases and its causative agents
- Microbiology: This is the study of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and viruses
- Immunology: This is the study of the immune system and how the body gets defended against infection.
- Genetics: This is the study of genes and heredity as relating to health and disease.
- Epidemiology: This course has to do with patterns, causes and effects of health and disease conditions in certain population
- Medical Ethics and law: This is the study of legal and ethical issues in medical practice
- Clinical skills: This involves the practical application of medical knowledge acquired in the classroom.
- Communication skills: this includes ability to effectively communicate with the patients, families and colleagues in the medical practice.
- Public health. : This study involve disease prevention and promotion of the health of the community.
Other Outstanding Universities To Study Medicine In Nigeria
There are several outstanding universities in Nigeria where you can study medicine. Here are a few:
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Lagos State University (LASU)
- Bayero University Kano (BUK)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Delta State University (DELSU)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK)
- Ambrose Allin University (AAU)
- Lagos State University (LASUTH)
University of Ibadan college of medicine which was established in 1948 currently stands as the best university to study medicine in Nigeria. However, there are other good universities to study medicine, if you don’t get admission into the university of Ibadan.
Frequently Asked Questions
What university in Nigeria produce outstanding medical students?
The following university stands out as the best medical universities in Nigeria and regularly turn out outstanding medical graduates:
University of Ibadan
Obafemi Awolowo University
Ahmadu Bello University
University of Lagos
Lagos State Teaching Hospital (LASUTH)
Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH)
University of Nigeria, Nsukka
University of Benin
University of Ilorin
University of Calabar
Delta State University
Niger Delta University
University of Jos
Bayero University Kano
Madonna University, okija
Abia State University
Ebonyi State University
University of Port-Harcourt
Usman Dan Fodiyo University
What is the JAMB cut-off mark for medicine?
The JAMB cut-off mark for medicine and surgery is 200. Any applicant that gets at least 200 as JAMB score would be eligible to sit for post-UTME in the school of choice. The cut-off mark for post-UTME varies from one institution to another.
What is the best university to study Medicine in the world?
Harvard University, Cambridge, United States
University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Standford University, Stanford, United States
University of Cambridge, Cambridge, United Kingdom
John Hopkins University, Baltimore, United States
University of California, Los Angeles, United States
How long does it take to study medicine in Nigeria?
To study medicine and surgery in Nigeria at first degree takes 6 years. Upon graduation. Student is being awarded MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery).
What aspect is the most lucrative in the medical field?
The following are the highest paid careers in the medical profession
Do graduates of Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria go for NYSC?
Graduates of medicine are allowed to go for NYSC, but that is after they have obtained their licenses from Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
What university is the most expensive to study medicine in Nigeria?
The Nile university located in Abuja is the most expensive university to study medicine in Nigeria. The university was established in 2009 and runs its academic program through 3 faculties: Arts & Social Sciences , Engineering and Natural &Applied sciences.
- www. schoolbeginner. com- Requirements To Study Medicine And Surgery In UI
- www. justschoolnews. com- 10 Best Universities in Nigeria to study Medicine and Surgery
- www. peakng. com- Top 20 Best Medical Universities In Nigeria 2023