Universities Offering Agricultural Extension in Nigeria – A Bachelor of Science in Agriculture in Nigeria is a degree worth pursuing as an undergraduate course of study in any recognized Nigerian institution. It may take up to five years to round-up your study in this area under any Nigerian university. While pursuing career in agriculture, students are expected to complete a variety of courses to get them ready to work at a wide range of job positions both for organizations and for fields.
There are countless specialties under the department of agriculture, which includes horticulture, resource management, food production, agricultural administration, as well as in many other areas to give you the avenue to diversify and advance a career of your choice. This article will therefore give you further insight on the different universities that are offering agricultural extension in Nigeria.
Agricultural Extension may have different variations when you come to different universities in Nigeria and that is what usually confuse most JAMBITES. Some of the naming scheme by various universities offering agricultural extension ( which are listed in this post) these naming scheme include; Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Economic & Extension, Agricultural Economics and Management, Agriculture Economics and Rural Development or simply Agricultural Extension.
With the above mentioned names, if you’re to select this course in your JAMB application, you should not be in anyway confused. They literally stand for the same discipline or just small variance.
Is Agricultural Extension a Good course to study in Nigeria?
Agricultural Extension is in the list of the hot-cake courses that are being offered in universities spread throughout the country.. As a profession, Agricultural Extension workers are saddled with the responsibilities of providing educational services to farmers, especially those ones who are in rural settlements.
Therefore, to stand a chance of competing in the job market, you are expected to have studied at one of the accredited universities offering Agricultural Extension in Nigeria.
UTME and Direct Entry Requirements for Entry into Agricultural Extension & Management
Direct Entry Requirement for admission into Agricultural Extension and Management :
Obtain Two (2) A Level passes in the following subjects Chemistry and one of either Zoology or Botany or Agricultural Science, Biology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Geology, Economics & Health Science.
UTME Requirement for admissions into Agricultural Extension and Management in Nigeria :
Have 5 SSCE credit passes in the following subjects English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science and 1 of these subjects Geography, Physics and Economics.
UTME Subject combination for admission into Agricultural Extension & Management :
Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science & either of Mathematics or Physics
List of Universities Offering Agricultural Extension in Nigeria
Federal Universities Offering Agricultural Economics & Extension/Management in Nigeria
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Bauchi State
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Kaduna State
- Bayero University, Kano, Kano State
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Joseph Sarwuan Tarka University, Makurdi, Benue State
- Modibbo Adama University, Yola, Adamawa State
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State
- University Of Benin, Benin City, Edo State
- University Of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan, Oyo State
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State
- University Of Jos, Jos, Plateau State
- University Of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State
- University Of Port-Harcourt, Rivers State
- University Of Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State
- Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure, Ondo State
- Federal University Of Technology, Minna, Niger State
- Federal University Of Technology, Owerri, Imo State
- Nigerian Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta State
- National Open University Of Nigeria, Jabi, Abuja-FCT
- College Of Animal Health & Pro. Technology VOM, (Affiliate To ATBU, Bauchi), Plateau State
List of State Universities Offering Agricultural Economics & Extension or Management in Nigeria
- Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State
- Adamawa State University, Mubi, Adamawa State
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden, Akwa Ibom State
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli, Anambra State
- Delta State University, Abraka, Delta State
- Dennis Osadebay University, Asaba, Delta State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Niger State
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nasarawa State
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State
- Osun State University, Osogbo, Osun State
- Taraba State University, Jalingo, Taraba State
- Delta State University Of Science & Technology, Ozoro, Delta State
- Enugu State University Of Science & Technology, Enugu, Enugu State
- Ladoke Akintola University Of Technology, Ogbomoso, Oyo State
- Lagos State University Of Science & Technology, Ikorodu, Lagos State
- Rivers State University, Port Harcourt, Rivers State
Private Universities Offering Agricultural Economics & Extension/Management in Nigeria
- Atiba University, Oyo, Oyo State
- Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State
- Claretian University, Nekede, Imo State
- Crawford University, Igbesa, Ogun State
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City, Edo State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji, Osun State
- Landmark University, Omu-Aran, Kwara State
It is vital that students consider the Subject Combination for Agricultural extension as it is important when applying into these institutions. While pursuing career in agriculture, students are expected to complete a variety of courses to get them ready to work at a wide range of job positions both for organizations and for fields. Good luck in your pursuit!
Frequently Asked Questions
How many years course is agricultural extension?
The programme is for a duration of 5 academic sessions ( that is for 5 years), but for Direct Entry students, it is four 4 academic sessions (4 years).
What are qualifications for agricultural extension?
Minimum mean grade of not less the C+ (Plus) at KCSE with a C in Mathematics and having C+ in any 2 of the following subjects- Biology, Chemistry or Agriculture
How can I study soil science via direct entry?
Direct Entry Requirement for Agricultural Extension and Management: 2 A Level passes in Chemistry & one of Zoology or Botany or Agricultural Science or Biology, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Geology, Economics & Health Science.
What are the problems of agriculture extension in Nigeria?
In order of severity, major hindrances to participation are poor involvement of people at the conception stage, lack of continuity, inadequate training, & inadequate extension agent.
What are the types of agricultural extension?
The agricultural extension service providers who have acquired slot in the NAEP can be grouped in 3 main categories: GOs, NGOs, & private sector and agribusiness enterprises
- Realmina.com – Best Universities Offering Agricultural Extension in Nigeria (2023)
- Naijschools.com – Full List of Universities in Nigeria Offering Agricultural Engineering
- Ismyschool.net – List of Universities That Offer Agricultural Extension
- Nigerianscholars.com – List of Universities that Offer Agric-Economics And Extension
- Schoolcontents.info – List of Universities That Offer Agricultural Economics & Extension/Management
- Myschoolgist.com – JAMB Subject Combination for Agricultural Extension and Management