Are you striving to study Environmental Science at university? In a search for the top environment science universities in Australia, we look into three universities in different states.
Universities in Australia are home to some of the top environmental science universities in the world. They also provide students with a solid grounding in scientific principles and practical skills, facilitating a seamless transition into post-graduate studies and a successful career. These are the top universities for Environmental Science degrees in Australia.
When deciding which University to apply to for your environmental science course, the important things to remember are location, affordability, and prestige. Environmental science as a degree is very popular in Australia and is growing in popularity year on year. The reason for this is that there’s never been more interest in being green, being environmentally friendly, and reducing our carbon footprint.
Australia has some of the best Environmental Science universities in the world. The Australian National University has been ranked as the number 1 university in Australia and number 22 in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019.
Australian universities are ranked among the best in the world. The University of Melbourne is the leading university in Australia, ranking in the top 50 in the world. The University of Queensland, Monash University, and UNSW Sydney are also highly regarded for their environmental science courses.
Environmental science is a broad field that encompasses the study of environmental systems, including ecosystems, climate change, and natural hazards. Environmental scientists also study how humans impact the environment and how we can mitigate these effects.
Environmental science degrees are available at universities across Australia, with some schools offering specialized bachelor’s degrees in environmental studies or environmental science.
Major/Specialization In Environmental Science
the investigation of how minerals and rocks behave throughout Earth’s processes.
the study of how problems in evolution, ecology, conservation, and biodiversity can be solved through evolutionary ecology.
- Science of Plants and Soil
Study soil biology and plant health to promote plant growth and production, and use techniques and breeding to increase yield and improve product quality.
- Weather and Climate
Discover the theoretical underpinnings of the atmosphere and ocean, the science of climate change, and the functions of the wind and ocean current systems.
- Ecosystem Science
Learn how the environment is changing on a global scale and how individuals can adapt to the changes to make their lives better.
Career Opportunities for Environmental Science Graduates
Graduates with an environmental science degree have access to a variety of professional prospects in disciplines like geology, conservation, and biology. The following are job options in environmental science:
- Environmental Scientist
Environmental scientists find strategies to eliminate various contaminants that hurt the environment to improve to both human and environmental health.
- Environmental Expert
offers professional guidance on how to manage environmental problems and lower overall carbon emissions for businesses.
responsible for researching and evaluating habitats, as well as how humans affect ecosystems and climate.
- Marine Biologist
Aquatic life science is a specialty of marine biologists. To study animals and aquatic life, they conduct research and gather data.
Geographic information systems (GIS) and the Global Positioning System (GPS) are tools used by geographers to collect data and investigate phenomena on Earth as well as in different regions of the world.
Top Environmental Science Universities In Australia
Here are some of the top universities for environmental science in Australia:
University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne was founded in 1853 and has more than 40,000 students enrolled in more than 200 programs at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. It is one of only two Australian universities to be ranked in the top 50 universities worldwide by QS World University Rankings 2019/2020.
The university offers undergraduate programs such as biology, chemistry, earth sciences, and ecology; master’s degrees include conservation biology, natural resource management, and sustainable agriculture; doctorate programs include sustainability science.
The Faculty of Science at the University of Melbourne offers a range of courses in the area of Environmental Science.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree program in Environmental Science provides students with strong theoretical foundations and practical skills to understand and manage complex environmental issues.
The course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the natural environment and its relationship with society while preparing students for employment or further study in fields such as pollution control, conservation and management, environmental law, environmental science education, and environmental policy-making.
The Bachelor of Environmental Science (Honours) degree program provides opportunities for advanced research training in various aspects of environmental science including biodiversity and ecosystems management, natural resource management, and sustainable agriculture.
The Faculty provides a rich learning environment that encourages all students to think critically and apply their knowledge to real-world problems. Our courses are designed to develop skills in scientific inquiry, critical thinking, and problem solving so that you can be part of creating solutions to global challenges like food security, climate change, and sustainable development in the 21st century.
Why study Environmental Science at the University of Melbourne?
The environment is a complex system that requires a range of skills and knowledge to understand how it works and how humans interact with it. Environmental science combines these skills with biology, chemistry, and physics so that we can analyze our impact on nature and understand how nature impacts us too! You’ll be able to use your knowledge to protect our natural resources for future generations!
The University of Melbourne’s Bachelor of Environmental Science is designed to provide you with the skills and knowledge to succeed in a wide variety of environmental careers.
You will develop your understanding of environmental science, sustainability, environmental law, and policy, and management. You’ll also learn about methods for researching complex problems.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships or fieldwork placements.
The Bachelor of Environmental Science offers breadth as well as depth through its core units which cover key areas of environmental science such as climate change, biodiversity conservation, and sustainable development.
University of Queensland
The University of Queensland is one of Australia’s leading research institutions with more than 1,500 academics working across six faculties: health sciences; business; engineering & information technologies; law; education & professional development; and arts & social sciences.
The university offers undergraduate degrees including environmental science (also available as an honors program); graduate programs include masters.
The University of Queensland Environmental Science degree is one of the most popular degrees in the Faculty of Science. It offers a range of majors to suit your interests and experience, including:
- Conservation Biology
- Ecology (Wetlands)
- Ecology (Tropical)
- Environmental Science (Wetlands)
- Environmental Science (Tropical) etc
The University of Queensland Environmental Science program is an interdisciplinary degree with a focus on the study of environmental science and management.
The Master of Environmental Science is a graduate-entry degree designed for students who have completed a relevant undergraduate degree in the natural or social sciences, engineering or law.
The Master of Environmental Science equips graduates with the skills and knowledge to work in a wide range of environmental fields including policy, business, government, and consultancy.
The Master of Environmental Science enables you to build upon your existing knowledge and experience through advanced study in areas such as sustainability, environmental management, restoration ecology, and climate change adaptation.
The course provides you with the opportunity to develop your research skills through independent study, fieldwork, or laboratory research projects. You may also choose to undertake an internship with an organization or company related to your area of interest.
Why study Environmental Science at the University of Queensland?
You’ll benefit from our unique approach to learning, which includes:
- A focus on practical skills and application of knowledge: Our Bachelor of Environmental Science (Honours) (BSc) program is a one-year postgraduate full-time program. The course provides you with an understanding of environmental science theory and principles, as well as practical skills in the areas of field sampling, data analysis, interpretation and modeling.
- You will also develop an understanding of the ethical, cultural, and social aspects of environmental science. You will gain a broad range of transferable skills including communication skills, problem-solving skills, teamwork, and leadership skills. The BSc degree can be used towards entry into any professional degree or master’s program at UQ or another university.
- The University of Queensland is a world leader in environmental science. We offer an extensive range of courses, including Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, PhDs, and postdoctoral positions.
- Our research covers all aspects of the environment, from ecosystems to global climate change, with faculty members working at sites across Australia and overseas.
- We are home to the Centre for Tropical Water and Aquatic Ecosystem Research (TropWATER), which is one of only two Commonwealth Marine Research Facilities in Australia – providing access to marine field stations and research vessels for our staff and students. We also own extensive terrestrial field sites across South East Queensland, which are used by researchers from many disciplines.
- The University has strong links with industry and government partners around the world, including an extensive network of alumni who have gone on to work in some of the world’s leading companies or organizations.
University of New-South Wales (UNSW)
The University of New South Wales is Australia’s premier university. The University is ranked among the world’s top 100 institutions and is consistently cited as one of the most international universities in the world. It is ranked among the top 20 universities in the world for its research performance by both the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities and the Center for Measuring University Performance.
The University’s main campus is located in Kensington, a vibrant inner-city suburb of Sydney, close to the city center and other attractions such as Bondi Beach and Hyde Park. With more than 250 degree programs across nine faculties, UNSW offers students an extensive range of courses and research opportunities.
The School of Environmental Sciences is one of three schools within the Faculty of Science at UNSW Sydney, offering courses in biology, chemistry, environmental science, and geography.
The Environmental Science degree is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of environmental science and the relationship between humans and the environment.
It provides a solid grounding in the physical and biological sciences, as well as familiarity with key issues of global importance such as climate change, sustainable development, habitat conservation, biodiversity loss, and pollution.
The degree program is ideal preparation for employment in environmental consulting services, government departments or agencies, or as environmental managers in the industry.
The course also offers opportunities for research studies and postgraduate studies at UNSW or other universities.
James Cook University (JCU)
James Cook University (JCU) is a public university in North Queensland, Australia. It was named after Captain James Cook, the British explorer who first mapped the east coast of Australia and discovered several Pacific Islands.
JCU is a member of the Australian Technology Network of universities and has four campuses located in Queensland, including Townsville, Cairns, Lis,more and Rockhampton.
James Cook University’s Cairns campus is located at Woree in the suburb of Smithfield, about seven kilometres from Cairns city center. It is home to the Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Natural and Built Environment, School of Medicine, and College of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences.
The campus has modern facilities such as an indoor sports center with an indoor swimming pool, gymnasiums, and tennis courts; as well as an outdoor sports oval and fields for various other sports activities such as soccer and cricket.
The James Cook University (JCU) Environmental Science course is designed to give you a broad understanding of environmental science, as well as the skills and knowledge to apply this knowledge in your future career. The course will give you an introduction to environmental issues, including environmental management, ethics, and sustainable development.
You’ll also learn about current research methods used in environmental science. You’ll learn about biogeochemical cycles, biological processes and ecosystems, climate change, and ecosystem management. You’ll also be able to choose from a range of elective units covering topics such as conservation biology, sustainable agriculture, or water resource management.
James Cook University (JCU) is Australia’s leading university for the environment, with a world-class research and teaching program that spans the disciplines of science, business, engineering, and health.
The School of Environment at JCU offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in environmental science and management.
The Master of Environmental Management (MEM) is a one-year full-time course designed to provide you with the skills, knowledge, and experience required to become an effective manager in today’s complex environmental arena.
Benefits of studying Environmental Science at James Cook University:
- The study of Environmental Science is a valuable degree for students who wish to work in the field of natural resource management. The major is designed to provide you with a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, earth science, and ecology. You will learn how to apply scientific principles and methods to understand the environment, ecosystems, and human interactions with them. This course of study will prepare you for employment in government agencies, environmental consulting firms, and private industry.
- You will have opportunities for fieldwork and hands-on experience through our summer field school program. We also offer opportunities for international study as part of our exchange program with partner universities around the world.
- Environmental Management stream (Environmental Management major) – if you want to work in business or government agencies. You’ll learn how to manage natural resources and plan for long-term sustainability
- Environmental Science stream (Environmental Science major) – if you want to work in research and academia. You’ll gain knowledge of environmental science and practical skills needed for fieldwork
Griffith University is a public research university in South East Queensland on the east coast of Australia. The university also operates campuses in Dubai, Fiji, and Singapore.
Griffith University is the oldest university in Queensland and one of the fastest-growing universities in Australia. It is ranked among the top 50 universities under 50 years old worldwide.
Griffith University Environmental Science Program offers students a unique experience in which they can apply their knowledge and skills to real-world issues within the context of environmental science.
The program combines scientific theory with practical application and fieldwork, providing students with a holistic understanding of environmental problems, solutions, management strategies, and policy development.
Griffith University Environmental Science is a world-class degree that will equip you with the skills and knowledge required to address environmental challenges and protect our natural environment.
The Griffith University Environmental Science degree is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of environmental science as well as specialised knowledge in one or more areas of study such as:
- Sustainable resource management;
- Environmental legislation, policy and practice; and/or
- Environmental science research.
Why study Environmental Science at the Griffith University?
Here are some of the benefits you’ll get from studying Environmental Science at Griffith:
- You’ll gain knowledge and skills to apply across many different industries: Environmental science is an interdisciplinary field that draws on many disciplines including biology, chemistry, ecology, geography, physics and zoology. This means you will gain an understanding of how all these elements interact with each other and how they affect our planet and its inhabitants.
- The skills you learn will allow you to work across many different industries including agriculture, forestry and mining industries or environmental consulting companies such as engineering firms or government agencies such as local councils or state governments where they manage urban planning, waste management and water treatment facilities.
- Griffith University Environmental Science is one of the most respected Environmental Science courses in Australia.
- Griffith University’s School of Environment, Health and Science is a world leader in environmental health research, education and training.
- The School offers three undergraduate degrees (Bachelor of Environmental Health, Bachelor of Environmental Management, Bachelor of Public Health), two postgraduate degrees (Master of Environmental Management and Master of Environmental Health) and a Doctorate program.
- The School’s researchers are dedicated to improving the health and wellbeing of our society through their work on a variety of environmental issues such as air quality, climate change adaptation, sustainable transport, marine pollution and public health policy development. The School also has strong links with local government agencies, non-government organisations and industry partners to ensure that its research findings are applied to real world problems.
- Excellent teaching facilities: The university provides excellent teaching facilities for its students through state-of-the-art equipment and technology based learning materials. The academic staffs are experienced and qualified professionals who have contributed tremendously towards development of students’ skills. Their guidance helps students to improve their performance by providing them with all possible resources including study materials, library facility etc.
That’s our list of the best universities in Australia for studying Environmental Science. Keep in mind that these particular rankings are based on a broad field and may not always be indicative of a program’s strength in a specific field. However, we do hope that we’ve identified some of the best programs available in this field.