Universities Offering Project Management in Nigeria: Project management is important for many businesses. Nigeria is one of the foremost African countries in which people manage projects. Here in Nigeria, there are various types of projects that you can manage. However, there are some project managers who are equipped to handle projects with grace and ease. Every project manager needs to be well-equipped with the knowledge of how to manage projects in Nigeria.
In Nigeria, project managers maintain control by managing the total impact of a project on each and every stakeholder. Project management is a discipline that puts emphasis on project planning and coordination, taking into consideration each individual’s rights and responsibilities as well as the interaction between all the stakeholders. Various stakeholders could be other companies, customers, suppliers, information technology firms, and even government agencies that need to be involved in the process.
Best Universities Offering Project Management in Nigeria
List of universities in Nigeria offering project management courses are:
- University of Lagos
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- University of Ilorin
- Rivers State University of Science and Technology
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Bayero University, Kano
- Federal Middle East University, Damaturu (FME) (www.fmeuniversity.edu)
- Abia State University
- Federal University, Otuoke
- Uyo State University of Science and Technology
- Plateau State University (PLASU)
- Niger Delta University (NDU)
The importance of project management in Nigeria
The importance are:
- Goal Establishment
- Project Planning
- Scope Management
- Management of Risks and Issues
- Change Control
- Quality Control
The Nigerian government, businesses, and organizations all depend on project management to keep their operations running smoothly. Organizations typically use project management for projects that are large or require more oversight than usual. In some cases, organizations will institute project management for every new project in order to increase the effectiveness of their operations.
Project management is an essential factor in Nigeria’s growth. Managing projects appropriately will lead to opportunities for employment as well as efficient use of natural resources. Additionally, a lack of conflict leads to peace and progress in the country.
It is important to have team management in place for any project so as to be able to manage the resources efficiently. Nigeria has many natural assets that need efficient management if we want some economic development and growth. The absence of conflict due to the presence of team management can lead Nigeria to peace and progress. The importance of having project management in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized.
Industries In Which a Project Manager Can Work
The industries in which a project manager can work are:
- Construction: In construction, a project manager is in charge of managing the construction of a building or complex.
- Manufacturing: A project manager in this industry is responsible for managing the manufacturing of goods and services, along with overseeing the employees that work on the goods and services.
- Marketing: A project manager in this field is responsible for marketing goods that are to be sold.
- Law enforcement: A project manager in this field is responsible for managing the operations of a police station or jailhouse.
- Sports: A project manager in this field is responsible for managing an athletic team and its players, including how they train and how they play during tournaments.
- Health and fitness: A project manager in this field is responsible for running a health club and overseeing the employees that are assigned to training sessions.
- Entertainment: A project manager in this area is responsible for managing a band, club, or any other type of musical activity.
- Education: A project manager in this field is responsible for managing an educational institution, which includes K–12 schools, colleges, and universities.
- Hospitality: A project manager in this field is responsible for managing a spa, hotel, or chain restaurant.
- Finance: A project manager in this industry works with the finance department of the organization to assist with financial planning and management.
- Sports management areas
A project manager in this field would be responsible for the supervision of employees, managers, and sponsors to help with the planning, scheduling, and actual execution of an athletic sporting event.
Functions of a Project Management Office
Basic functions of a project manager:
- management of multiple tasks and activities to accomplish defined goals.
- Meeting schedules, budgets, and other financial plans
- to do research about projects and organizations.
- playing a major role in decisions that create problems.
- Motivating team members by establishing expectations
- Developing a plan for success by managing time, resources, quality control, and costs
- The project manager is responsible for defining the budget, time, and resource requirements of the project.
- The project manager is responsible for determining and maintaining the quality level of each project. He or she must make sure that tasks are completed according to plan.
- The project manager must be able to communicate effectively with team members, customers, and management within your organization.
- The project manager must make decisions based on facts. He or she should be able to control conflicts that occur during the life of a project.
- A project manager should have strong analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving, and leadership skills. He or she should have knowledge about software applications such as MS Project or Primavera.
Those who can work as a project managers are:
- People who can prioritize and manage their time
- Strong communicators
- Good people skills
- Positive and optimistic personality traits
- Able to work independently on projects with minimal supervision.
- Able to handle and maintain a tight schedule
- be credible and accurate in their job description.
Those who can’t work as a project manager are:
- People who hate to prioritize and manage their time
- People who can’t communicate well with others
- Negative or pessimistic personalities. (Positive people usually have good communication skills.)
- Poor planning, no concept of timelines or calendars, or poor time management is the ability to see what is coming and prepare for it. (Good time management is an essential skill to have on any project.)
- cannot work independently on projects with minimal supervision.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to study if you want to be a project manager?
What Qualifications Do You Need to Be a Project Manager? Project managers generally need to have a Bachelor’s degree in business or computer science, as well as years of professional experience in a relevant line of work with escalating seniority.
How long is a project management course?
35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® certification
Is studying project management hard?
Project management is not necessarily hard to learn, but some of the soft skills required are very difficult for some people to master.
Do I need maths to study project management?
While there are no set subjects needed to study project management, there are a few that can be helpful. If you want to study towards a degree or diploma, Economics, and Maths are good subjects to have.
How happy are project managers?
According to Indeed.com, 67 percent of project managers working in the US are satisfied with their salaries, earning an average income of $73,790 per year. This means the majority of professionals in this industry believe they are being compensated fairly for their hard work.
- Brainstation.oi – Is Project Management Hard to Learn?
- Skillsacademy.co.za – Subjects required to study Project Management
- Careerkarma.com – Project Manager Job Satisfaction