List of Universities Offering Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria- Petroleum Engineering is one of the interesting aspect of engineering. Petroleum engineers work hard to discover, recover and maintain oil and gas supplies in the world. They make the exploration, drilling and production of oil safe for people of the community, wildlife and the environment in general. A career in Petroleum Engineering gives you the opportunity to meet and work with professionals from different background, ethnic-wise, geographic-wise and others. Opportunities abound for you to travel around the world especially oil-producing countries. And the most interesting part is that you will make earn some good income and be able to live comfortable lives. In this post, we would be revealing the list of universities offering Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria.
List of Universities Offering Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria
There are several universities in Nigeria that offer petroleum engineering programs. Here are some of them:
- University of Lagos
- Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of Benin
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island
- Madonna University, Okija
- Covenant University, Ota
- Federal University of Technology, Minna
- Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi
- Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti
- Bayero University, Kano
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State
- Igbinedion University, Okada, Benin City
- Ondo State University Of Science And Technology, Okitipupa
- Rivers State University Of Science And Technology, Port Harcourt
- University Of Benin, Benin City
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- University Of Uyo
#1 University of Lagos
University of Lagos is a public research university established in 1962 in Lagos, Nigeria. The institution runs its academic program across three campuses: Akoka, Yaba, Surulere with Akoka being the main campus. The university offers Bachelor, Master and Doctorate degree programs through 12 faculties: Engineering, Arts, Law, Sciences, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Education, Environmental Sciences, Pharmacy, Dental Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences and Clinical Sciences.
The Engineering faculty has different units including Chemical , Mechanical, Petroleum Engineering , etc.
Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering In University of Lagos
- Minimum of 5 credit passes in O’level at one sitting, Mathematics and English inclusive
- Must be at least 16 years old by October 31 of the admission year.
- Pick the right JAMB subject combination (Use of English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
- Score above the cut-off mark in UTME and post-UTME for Petroleum Engineering
#2 Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
The Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun was established as a Federal university in 2007 in Delta State. The institution was established to train and produce highly skilled manpower relevant to the oil and gas industry. The university runs its academic program via two colleges:
- College of Science
- College of Technology
The following courses are available at the college of science: Computer science, Mathematics , Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Geophysics, Science laboratory technology and environmental management and toxicology .
The college of technology runs the following courses: Petroleum engineering, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Marine Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Natural Gas Engineering.
Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering In Federal University of Petroleum Resources, Effurun
- Minimum of 5 credit passes in O’level subjects including English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Right UTME subject combinations: Use of English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
- Application is usually done through JAMB
- Duration of study is 5 years.
#3 Covenant University
The university is a private Christian university in Ota area of Ogun State, Nigeria in 2002. It was established by the presiding Bishop of Living Faith Church Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo. Currently, Covenant university stands as one of the best university in Nigeria in terms of teaching and research activities.
The institution runs bachelor and post-graduate degree programmes via 4 colleges:
- College of Engineering
- College of Management
- College of Science and Technology
- College of Leadership Development Studies
Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering At Covenant University
- Minimum of 5 credit passes in O’level including Mathematics, English, Physics and Chemistry.
- Right UTME Subject combination: English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Must Score above cut-off mark for UTME and post-UTME
- Duration of study is 5 years
- You are to obtain application form from JAMB and also apply through the university website, https: //admission. covenantuniversity. edu. ng
#4 University of Benin
The university was established in 1970 as a public research university in Edo State, Nigeria. The school runs its academic program across two campuses. There are about 15 faculties in the institution including the faculty of Engineering.
Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering In University of Benin
- Minimum of 5 O’level credit passes
- Must be at least 16 years old by the 31st October of the admission year.
- Pick the right UTME subject combination: Use of English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics
- Score above UTME and post-UTME cut-off mark
#5 Federal University Of Technology, Owerri
The university which stands as the oldest university in Nigeria was established in 1980. It is a public research university located in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. The School runs its academic program through 11 schools:
- School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology
- School of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- School of Electrical Systems and Engineering Technology
- School of Physical Sciences
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Logistics and Innovation Technology
- School of Health Technology
- School of Environmental Sciences
- School of Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Information and Communication Technology
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences
The petroleum engineering department operates under the school of Engineering and Engineering Technology.
Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering In Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO)
To study petroleum engineering in FUTO, these are the requirements:
- Minimum of 5 credit passes in O’level including English, Mathematics
- Right UTME subject combination: Use of English, Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
- Score above cut-off for UTME and post-UTME
- Must be at least 16 years old by the 31st October of the admission year.
The above-listed universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in petroleum engineering. Specialized courses and research opportunities are also available in these universities most especially in areas like petroleum geology, reservoir engineering, drilling engineering, and production engineering.
Overview of Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria
Petroleum Engineering is one of the interesting course to study in Nigeria. This is because Nigeria is blessed with crude oil which is one of the major revenue to the country. Petroleum Engineers are trained to design and develop techniques for extracting oil and gas from the earth and refining such to yield products that will be useful.
To become a petroleum engineer in Nigeria, you will need to first obtain a bachelor degree in petroleum engineering from a recognized university. After study , you will need to acquire some practical experience through on-the-job- trainings or internships.
General Tips To Studying Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria
To study Petroleum Engineering In Nigeria in any of the higher institutions, follow this steps:
- You should have a minimum of 5 credit passes in O’ level including Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, English.
- Sit for Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) and be sure to beat the cut-off mark for the course and the institution of interest.
- Apply to Institutions offering Petroleum Engineering courses
- Sit for and pass the post-UTME set by your choice university.
- After being offered admission to your choice university, do your registration and pay necessary fees.
- Go through the program; attend lectures, do assignments, participate in practical, internships, projects and then graduate.
- After being awarded Bachelor degree in Petroleum Engineering, go through continuous education and development such as conferences, professional courses, workshops to acquire more skills and knowledge in the field.
So, if you are interested in studying Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria, then you can attend any of the universities offering Petroleum Engineering listed in this article. But whatever university you are choosing, find out the curriculum, facilities and accreditation status of such before accepting the admission offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to study petroleum engineering in Nigeria?
To study petroleum engineering in Nigerian institutions takes 5 years.
What are the main subjects taught in petroleum engineering?
Some of the main subjects you will be taking while studying petroleum engineering in Nigeria include:
What subject combinations do I need to study Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria?
To apply for admission into university to study petroleum engineering, the following are the subject combinations that will be required for UTME:
Can I get to study Petroleum Engineering in Nigeria?
Yes. In fact, Petroleum engineering is one of the hottest engineering course to study in Nigeria. There are good universities in Nigeria to study the course and there are good job prospects for you after graduation
Under what faculty is Petroleum Engineering?
Petroleum Engineering is one the academic units in Engineering faculty.
- www. unilag. edu. ng- About us- Unilag
- www. wikipedia. com- Covenant university
- www. schoolbeginner. com – Requirements To Study Petroleum Engineering In FUTO
- https:// nigerianscholars. com- List Of Universities That Offer Petroleum Engineering