Best Things To Keep in a Commuter Student Bag – A commuter student bag is mostly designed for students who commute to and from school every day. They have the ability to carry everything they need to be successful in school. These bags are designed with a lot of compartments so that you can keep all your notebooks, books, phones, and many other items organized and safe. This bag is perfect for college students who want to stay focused on their studies throughout the day. They provide large compartments for all types of accessories like laptops, umbrellas, water bottles, etc., as well as multiple smaller pockets just in case things get soggy from rain at the end of a long day at school or if you accidentally spill coffee onto your clothes as you come off the subway platform.
Best Things To Keep in a Commuter Student Bag
For ultimate organization, check out the eBags Professional Slim Briefcase. With a 24-inch wheelbase, it will easily fit under airplane seats and is big enough to hold all those pesky textbooks you have to carry around in one space! Plus, its padded shoulder strap can be detached when not needed, so it pops easily into an office waiting room or lecture hall without anyone batting an eyelid.
The list of things to keep in a commuter student bag are;
- Phone Charger
- Sunglasses and Hat (in the winter)
- Shoes for when you get to school
- A Book or Notebook to do homework in case classes are canceled due to inclement weather
- A Laptop
- Pen and pencil
- A Water Bottle
- A Snuggie (Winter Only)
- Clean clothes that you can change into if you get to school and your first class was canceled/if it is cold outside so you can ride home without freezing
- A College Planner (To Track Your Homework, Study Dates, College Events, etc.)
iPod/Mp3 Player with headphones so you can listen to your music while riding the subway!
- Hair ties for when your hair is a frizzy mess from the trains or rain.
- A Book/Notebook to keep track of classes and assignments
- Your Stu-Pad (Stu-Pad is a sticky note pad with sticky notes that can be put on the inside of your backpack so it doesn’t slide around while you’re on the subway.)
- Some medical supplies (bandaids, cough drops, pain relievers)
- Cable Ties and/or Heavy Duty Tape for still wearing your uniform once you get there!
Examples of Commuter Bags
1. The North Face Downtown Backpack
This is the perfect bag for people who need to carry a lot of things, as it has 15 separate compartments, including one that is great for textbooks: a laptop pocket with padded sleeves, and another that’s an organizer or binder. In the center, you can fit everything from a laptop to many books at once without worrying about spilling anything. It even features an external, rigid-arm sleeve that keeps your gear straight while you’re walking through campus.
2. Ogio Octavia Backpack
This large, spacious bag will hold everything you need while keeping your laptop and books safe from the worst of the airport and city hall crowds. The shoulder straps are padded for extra comfort, as is the back panel, while the top handle is padded to prevent accidental drops. A magnetic closure keeps everything in place when you pull it on. It’s also really light, so you won’t even notice how full it is!
3. REI Co-op Surge Daypack
This backpack was designed with one purpose in mind: to keep your gear safe from drops and leaks. The rugged aluminum design is water-resistant and lightweight, but durable enough to keep your things safe from all sorts of everyday wear and tear. It has an adjustable strap that lets you fit it snugly on your back or over your shoulder, while a 2-liter hydration reservoir will keep you feeling fresh every day.
4. North Face Black Hole
This is one of the most popular bags for all sorts of students, from business to medical. It’s large enough to carry an important laptop and multiple textbooks in addition to your laptop, plus it has more than enough room in the main compartment alone for your binders and papers, so you can keep them organized. It also features a convenient side pocket that holds a water bottle or other essentials.
5. Timbuk2 Urban Commuter
This bag is great for the casual commuter. Its size is large enough to hold a laptop, books, and other items, yet its unique design will make you feel like it’s about three times smaller than it actually is.
6. The North Face Surge Backpack
Another great option for those who find a regular backpack too heavy to carry over long distances, this one has a padded sleeve for your laptop, which can be removed as needed with just one hand. The main compartment above the laptop sleeve features a nifty divider that lets you split your gear among the four separate pockets. There are also two side pockets that are perfect for water bottles or other small accessories.
How To take care of a Commuter Student bag
The simple maintenance measures for taking care of a Commuter Student bag are:
- Keep the bag free of dirt and other debris.
- Keep the materials, such as faux leather or linen, away from sources of water for prolonged periods.
- Keep the inside zipper guards clean to avoid damage to any items inside.
- Store the bag in a cool, dry place while not in use to prevent mildew from forming on delicate parts.
- Avoid rough handling (for obvious reasons)!
- Store valuables in a safe, dry place, away from sunlight, etc.
- Avoid storing sharp or heavy objects in the main body of the bag, as this can cause damage to the bottom portion.
- To prevent dust buildup, you may consider applying talcum powder or a similar substance to the insides of your bag every few months.
- If you are going to be traveling with your bag, i.e., flying, it is recommended that you choose a hard-sided travel case for extra protection.
- Try not to bring home dirty gym clothes, as they can damage your bag (or any other soft-sided bag, for that matter).
The best things to keep in your commuter student bag are a water bottle, bananas, and granola bars. A good umbrella is the most essential of all. If you take other items, like an extra pair of socks, it may help you stay dry when out in the weather for long periods of time. Possibly, a headscarf can come in very handy as well!
Lastly, make sure to bring toiletries that include soap, toothbrushes, and toothpaste; they could save your life if you run into problems getting clean at an unisex bathroom, which is always shared between two genders (and sometimes there is no changing room).
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I look for in a commuter backpack?
What should I look for in a commuter backpack? Top commuter backpacks will include dedicated organization pockets, chest straps to help balance weight, a dedicated (and ideally padded) laptop sleeve, cushioned adjustable shoulder straps, and they’ll be made with some kind of water-resistant material.
What is a commuter bag?
These bags enable you to transport your work attire – business suits, dresses, shirts or a uniform – as well as laptop, tech devices and everyday essentials, in a convenient, stylish bag on your back.
What features should a good backpack have?
Have a padded back, the width of the child’s back. Have padded shoulder straps, wide on the top and narrower under the arms. Possess several pockets to distribute the weight of the objects. Ideally be equipped with waist, chest and side straps to stabilize objects and distribute weight.
Where do you put your laptop in a backpack?
Place it in a protective case: Next, secure your laptop in its protective case. Make sure you insert it correctly and close it securely. Many backpack-friendly laptop cases, such as the high-quality protective cases designed by High Ground, are designed to ruggedize any backpack with slim, re-enforced sleeves.
What is a nomad bag?
The Nomad tech bag is designed to pack all your tech gear wherever your travel and adventure takes you! Featuring a genuine leather strap, water-resistant fabric, multiple zippered pockets, a bungee strap organizer, and a customizable Velcro base compartment.
What is the best Colour for a backpack?
Black, green and blue are usually considered well accepted colours. On a practical level, yellow shows dirt easily and you’ll always have a dingy look about you after the first trip. Dingy can be good – the more beaten up the pack the better – but a still new but dirty pack is just going to look dirty.
What is the most important item in your bag?
Wallet, Phone and Keys
These three items are crucial for modern-day life: phone, wallet, and keys. Your wallet should fit snugly into your purse so you can grab it when needed. It should contain your ID or driver’s license, credit cards, and cash.
Should I pack my laptop or carry-on?
General airline regulations suggest that all portable electronic devices are put in your carry-on baggage. If you need to put them in a checked bag, you must ensure these devices are completely turned off and not in sleep or hibernate mode.
Should I wear my backpack high or low?
If it is too high, the straps will pull on your shoulders rather than evenly distributing the load. If it is too low, this can result in a forward lean, causing low back pain. Your pack should be worn so it sits approximately two inches from your shoulders, and should ride around an inch above your hips.10
- Promoleaf.com – How to wear a backpack
- Collegeinfogeek.com – Things that should be in every student’s backpack
- Makingmyway.com – What commuters Should Carry In their College Backpack