NECO will use this NECO Chemistry Syllabus 2020 to set NECO Chemistry Questions for the examination you are about to write?
As such, the NECO Syllabus for Chemistry 2020 is a very important material that will help you to prepare smartly for this exam.
The reason for telling you all this is for you to know how important this syllabus is and how well it will help you to score A, B, or C in this subject without stress.
Note; this Syllabus is totally free and it will be very helpful for candidates that need the 2020 NECO area of concentration for chemistry.
Chemistry Area of concentration And Important Topics To Read
The main aim of this syllabus is to enlighten NECO candidates on important topics to read for the 2020 NECO Chemistry Exam. So below are the topics for you.
Introduction To Chemistry: Topics to read here are as follows
- Definition, Scope, and genesis of Chemistry
- Matter and it states
- Nature of matter
- Scientific measurements and quantities
- The scientific method
Note, the scientific method follows the following sequence:
Study Of Matter. Cover everything subtopic in this section
- Kinetic theory of matter.
- State of matter.
- Postulates of the kinetic theory.
- Changes of state of matter.
- Characteristics and nature of gases;
- Shapes and compressibility
Atomic Structure; Read everything about this topic.
- The Atoms, molecules, and ions
- Atomic Theory
- Atomic mass
- Mass number
- Proton number
- Atomic number
- Atomic symbols
- Sub-atomic particles
- Dalton’s atomic theory
- Bohr’s model of the atom.
- Relative atomic mass
- Molecular mass
- Characteristics and
- Electron Configuration
Changes: Study everything subtopic in this section
- Physical changes
- Chemical changes
- Examples of chemical and physical change
- Melting of solids
- Boiling of liquids
- Evaporation of liquids
- Dissolution of solutes
- Brownian motion and diffusion.
Theories and Principles: Read everything under this topic
- Hund’s Rule
- Pauli Exclusion Principle
- Aufbau Principle.
Separation: Cover everything section under this topic
- Separation techniques
- Criteria for purity.
- Separation methods:
- Boiling point
- Melting point
- Variable oxidation states
- physical states
The Periodic Table; Read everything about the periodic table
- Groups and Periods
- The periodic law.
Periodic properties; Touch these subtopics small.
- Ionic size
- Ionization energy
- electron affinity
- Atomic radius
- Number of valence electrons (Valency)
Chemical Bonding: Study a bit about the following subtopics
- Formation of bonds
- Complex formation
- Metallic Bonding
- ionic bonding
- Covalent bonding
- Diatomic bonding
- Interatomic bonding
- Hydrogen bonding
- Van der Waals forces
- Intermolecular bonding
- Formation of colored compounds;
More NECO Chemistry Syllabus for 2021
This is section two for this NECO chemistry syllabus 2021. Please, do well to follow the topics gradually and make use of the area of concentration given.
Shapes of compounds: Study each of the following shapes.
- Polar and non-polar compounds.
Stoichiometry: Learn how to identify and name the following;
- Chemical symbols
- IUPAC names
Chemical formula: Study the differences between each of these formulas and learn how to calculate them.
- Empirical formula
- Structural formula
- Molecular formula
Chemical Reactions: Study everything under this
- Chemical equations and formulae
- Amount of substance.
- Acids-Base reactions.
- Chemical combination.
- Combustion reactions
- Chemical compounds
- Decomposition reaction
- Redox reactions.
- Ionic reactions
- Displacement reaction.
- Balancing of equations.
Experiments and Calculations: Learn how to carry out practicals, calculate, and solve all problems using the data you obtain.
Area of focus;
- Mass and volume relationships
- Percentage composition.
- Preparation of solutions
- Mole and Mole ratios
- Avogadro’s constant (6.02 x 1023)
- Molar quantities
- Dilute solution and concentrated solution.
- Concentration terms
- Amount of substance
- Yield of product
- Primary and secondary standard.
- Standard solutions.
- Calculation of Mass
- Volume and percentage
- Testing for Basic, acidic, and neutral solutions.
- Molar concentration.
- Dilution factor
Laws: Know how to state the following Laws
- Conservation of mass.
- Constant composition.
- Multiple proportions.
Gases and Gas laws: Study the principles of the following laws and how to apply them.
- Charles’ law
- Boyle’ss law
- Dalton’s law of partial pressure;
- Graham’s law of diffusion,
- Avogadro’s law.
- Ideal gas equation
- Gay Lussacs law.
- kinetic model.
- Kinetic molecular theory.
- Gas volumes, pressure, temperature.
- Mathematical expression, relations, and calculation of the gas laws
- Real gases and ideal situation.
- Preparation and purification of gases.
- Physical properties of the gases.
- Chemical properties of the gases
- Arrangement of gaseous particles
- Compressibility of gases
- Density, and volume.
- Pressure of gases
- Boiling and evaporation.
- Temperature of gases
- Volume of gases
Energy: Study the following topics intensively;
- Energy Changes
- Chemical processes.
- Exothermic process
- Endothermic processes.
- The total energy of a system.
- Kinetic energy
- Potential energy
- Electrical energy
- Heat energy.
- Sound energy.
NECO 2021 Syllabus for Chemistry
The syllabus is really long. So I have split into sections so that you can read and have a little break to avoid confusion. So below are more topics to read.
Solid: Know the following of solid substances.
- Particles ions
- Molecules and atoms
- Properties of solids
- Interatomic and intermolecular bonding in the solids.
- Identification of the types of chemical bonds in solid.
- Melting points of solid.
- Indicator of purity of solids.
Acids, Bases, And Salts: Do an intensive study on acid, base, and salt following the subtopics arrangement as shown below;
- Explanation of acids and bases.
- Physical properties of acids and bases.
- Chemical properties of acids and bases.
- Classification of acids and bases.
- Concept of the pH scale
- Acid-base indicators.
- Acid-base electrolytes and non-electrolytes.
- Strength of acids and bases.
- The reaction of Acid and Base
- Laboratory and industrial preparation of acid and base.
- Hydrolysis of salt.
Salt: Read everything about salt and its production.
- Explanation of salts.
- Types of salts.
- Laboratory and industrial preparation of salts.
- Crystallization of Salt
- Behavior of salts
Solubility: Read the following subtopics
- Definition and explanation of solubility.
- Saturated and unsaturated solutions.
- The equilibrium system.
- Solubility curves
- Effect of temperature on solubility of a substance.
- Solubility and crystallization.
- Calculations on solubility.
- Solubility rules.
Chemical Kinetics And Equilibrium System: Study these subtopics shown below;
- The rate of chemical reactions:
- Factors affecting rates of chemical reaction
- Theories of reaction rates.
- Chemical equilibrium.
- Pressure of reactants
- Collision of particles
- Transition state theories
- Activation energy.
- Energy profile
- Activation energy
- Enthalpy and Entropy change.
- Reversible and irreversible reactions.
Redox Reactions: Please, spend time and cover this topic intensively. Cover each of the following subtopics.
- Oxidation and reduction reaction.
- Oxidizing agents and reactions
- Reducing agents and reactions
- Half-life equation
- Le Chatelier’s principle.
- Redox equations
- Loss and gain of electrons.
- Oxidation state
- The electrochemical cells and series.
- Standard electrode potential.
- Addition and removal of oxygen and hydrogen.
- Loss and gain of electrons.
- Balancing of redox equations
Electrolysis: Read everything about electrolysis and learn how to solve all calculation problems.
- Explanation of electrolysis
- Faraday Laws of electrolysis.
- Principles of electrolysis
- Electrolytic cells and application of electrochemical cells.
- Practical application of electrolysis
- Discharge of species.
- Primary and secondary cells
- Daniell cell
- Calculations on Electrolysis.
Organic Chemistry syllabus and Area of concentration
this is the final stage of the NECO Chemistry syllabus. This section is the SS3 scheme of work and everything you did from the first term to the third term. So make use of this as your area of concentration.
Carbon and its Compounds: Study everything about Carbon
- Natural occurrence of Carbon
- Allotropes of Carbon
Organic Chemistry: Cover every topic under Organic chemistry
- Homologous series
- Functional group
- Organic compounds.
- Fractional distillation
- Octane number
- Empirical formulae
- Structural formulae
- Molecular formulae
- Geometric isomerism.
- Nomenclature and structure.
- Laboratory preparation of organic compounds.
- Primary, secondary and tertiary alkanols.
- Laboratory test for ethanol.
Industrial And The Environmental Chemistry
- Chemical industries
- Natural resources
- Extraction and purification
- Fine and heavy chemicals.
- Industrial pollution.
Biochemistry And Synthetic Polymers
- Proteins and uses of protein
- Depletion of the ozone layer
- Properties and sources of protein
- Amino acids
- Greenhouse effect.
- Biodegradable and non-biodegradable pollutants.
- Food processing process
- Hydrolysis of proteins;
Fats and oils:
- Formation of fat and oil
- Sources and properties of fat and oil
- Uses of fats and oils in industrial production
- Test for the presence of fats and oil.
- Saponification (Preparation of soap) from fats/oils.
- Classes of carbohydrates.
- The solubility of sugars.
- Chemical properties of carbohydrates.
- Test for sugar.
- Starch and glucose units.
- Plastics and resins
- properties of plastics.
- Biogradable and non- biogradable.
- Chemical test on plastics
NECO Recommended Textbooks for Biology
For effective studies, NECO has recommended the following textbooks for 2020 NECO candidates. These textbooks are the best textbooks to study with, with detailed explanations and breakdown of each topic.
- Senior Secondary Chemistry, Books 2-3. This textbook is written by Bajah, Teibo, & Co.
- Understanding Chemistry. This textbook is written by Ojokuku
- New School Chemistry. This textbook is written by Ababio
- Chemistry for Senior Secondary Schools. This textbook is written by Odesina (Get the 2nd Edition)
- Countdown to WASSCE/SSCE, NECO, JME Chemistry. This textbook is written by Uche, Iwuagwu, & Adenuga.
How to cover this NECO Chemistry Syllabus in less than a 2 weeks
To help you better, I will recommend the following techniques for you. The techniques will help you speed up your studies and cover your syllabus in a very short period of time.
From experiences, I have discovered that many candidates do struggle to complete their syllabus even when they have almost run out of time. The guidelines below will give you some good tips to cover your syllabus without running out of time.
- Go through the entire syllabus First: Make sure you note all the topics that are in the syllabus.
- Collect your study materials: Gather all the study materials you want to use for your studies.
- Use the Recommended textbooks, online materials, and other study materials that you have.
- Write down notes on all topics that you read for easy revision.
- Set goals for your daily studies and make sure you achieve them.
That was our NECO Chemistry Syllabus 2020/2021 and recommended textbooks update. I am sure this will be very helpful to you? Please, also share this with others.