- 1 Korea University Acceptance Rate
- 2 Korea University Admission Requirement
- 3 Korea University Campuses
- 4 Korea University Faculties and Degree Programs
- 5 Rankings of Korea University DD
- 6 Application Review Process
- 7 Required Documents
- 8 For Undergraduate Freshman Applicants
- 9 For Undergraduate Transfer Applicants
- 10 Application Fee at Korea University
- 11 Korea University Tuition Fees
- 12 Major Tuition
- 13 Student Accommodation at Korea University
- 14 Off-Campus
- 15 Korea University Scholarships for International Students
- 16 Undergraduate Scholarships
- 17 1. Scholarship for Entering Students
- 18 Scholarship for Current Students
- 19 Graduate Scholarships
- 20 1. Global Leader Scholarship
- 21 2. Humanities and Social Sciences Scholarship
- 22 FAQ about Korea University
- 23 Can I transfer to a Korean university?
- 24 Can I have a part-time job?
- 25 What are the scholarships option available for undergraduate international students at Korea University?
- 26 I achieved a high GPA. Why was not I awarded the scholarship?
- 27 Related
Korea University Acceptance Rate
We estimate the Korea university acceptance rate to be 25% for international students and about 50% for international graduate students. Admission is mostly based on submitted transcripts and test scores.
Though the acceptance rate is not precisely declared, it is believed that the admission process is very scrupulous for local students but can be more lenient with international students.
Previously known as Bosung College, Korea University was founded in 1905 and noKorea’se of Korea’s largest, reputable and oldest universities. Its reputation for quality is based on excellence in teaching, research, and service to Korean society: renowned faculty, exceptional students, and internationally recognized research programs contribuUniversity’sUniversity’s academic reputation.
Korea University Admission Requirement
You must meet three requirements before applying for admission:
- Citizenship requirements
- Academic requirements
- Language Proficiency requirements.
For international undergraduate applicants, you must be a non-Korean citizen; the same goes for both parents. Applicants must have completed primary and secondary education equivalent to 12 years and submit a language proficiency certificate such as TOPIK (Korean) or TOEFL (English).
If you are a master’s or doctoral degree, you have to hold foreign citizenship and complete 16 years of education from primary to tertiary level.
You can submit any of the following language tests:
- PBT 550
- IELTS 5.5
- TOPIK Level 3 or above.
If you are a native English speaker or have completed a degree in an English-speaking country, you will be accepted as well.
Korea University Campuses
Korea University has two campuses: Sejong Campus and Seoul Campus. Additionally, the college has three subsidiary hospitals: Anam Hospital, Ansan Hospital, and Guro Hospital.
The campus covers over 182 acres and is home to more than 35,000 students from all over the country and the world. Having beautiful stone architecture, sprawling lawns, seasonal trees, and natural flora, Korea University is one of the most beautiful campuses in Korea.
As of the 2020 academic year, there are about 29,580 students on Seoul Campus and 7,096 on Sejong Campus.
Korea University Faculties and Degree Programs
Korea University is very extensive with its 81 departments in 19 colleges and divisions and 18 graduate schools. It has over 1,500 full-time faculty members, with more than 90% of them holding PhD or equivalent qualifications in their field.
Korea University has particularly strong Humanities and Asian Studies Departments and the recently established Graduate School of International Studies (GSIS). The university is also renowned for its professional schools of Medicine, Law, and Business Administration.
Korea University is globally recognized in research with more than 100 research centres, including the Korean Cultural Research Centre and the East Asiatic Research Centre.
Additionally, Korea University Business School (KUBS) is the only and the first business school in the country to have acquired both European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) accreditation and the accreditation granted by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
The Main Library contains almost 800,000 works, making it the largest collection in any private university library in Korea. It is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities such as search functions for each room, Web-based learning corners, and reference information rooms. It serves as a beacon for intellectuals by supporting students’ research activities.
Unlike many universities in Korea, KU prides itself in not only being a progressive and globally conscious institution but one that plays a role in preserving and developing Korea’s Korea’sculture.
Rankings of Korea University DD
Ranking of Korea University by various organizations are:
- 167th in the World University Rankings 2021.
- 179th in the World University Rankings 2020.
- 20th in the Asia University Rankings 2020.
Application Review Process
The application review process is done in two stages.
- The first stage is the document review.
- The second stage is the interview stage and only successful applicants who pass the document review will get the chance to have the interview.
For Both First-Year and Transfer Students, you must have:
- Application Form.
- Personal Statement.
- Study Plan.
- Official Graduation Certificate of high school.
- A score report of an English proficiency test (TOEFL, TEPS, TOEIC, or IELTS)
- Official transcript of Korean language course or a score report of a Korean proficiency test (TOPIK) for degree programs taught in Korean.
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
- Copies of both parents’ passports or other official documents indicating parents’ nationality.
- Official document indicating a parent-child relationship between the applicant and his/her parents (Family Register, Birth certificate, etc)
- Applicant’s Certificate of Facts Concerning the Entry and Exit(from Immigration Office of Korea)
- Certificate of bank deposits for over USD 10,000 from the applicant or the parents.
- Other certificates proving the applicant’s scholastic achievements (Score reports of recognized tests, prize records, Letters of Recommendation, etc)
For Undergraduate Freshman Applicants
- Official Transcript(s) of High school
- Results of a national examination for college entrance
- Certificate of admission from other universities
For Undergraduate Transfer Applicants
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s professor
- Official university transcripts of academic records
- Official certificates of attendance from the university
Documents that are not in Korean or English should be translated and notarized In Korean or English.
Application Fee at Korea University
The application fee for international undergraduate students is KRW 150,000 or $130 for Humanities and Science and KRW 200,000 or $175 for Art and Design. If there is excess from the fee, it will be returned to the applicant’s account. Once payment is made, the application cannot be cancelled or modified.
The application fee for international graduate students is KRW 127,000 or $111, divided into the application fee of KRW 120,000 and the commission fee of KRW 7,000.
Once the application fee is paid and the documents submitted, it becomes non-refundable.
Korea University Tuition Fees
The tuition fee for international undergraduate students at Korea University is estimated to be KRW 4,300,000 or $4,000 for Humanities and KRW 5,500,000 or $5,000 for Sciences to be paid per semester.
You can pay it through bank transfer, Alipay, and any other available banking payment options to the virtual bank account of Korea University.
The tuition fee for international graduate students per semester varies depending on the course. The tuition fee for both master’s and PhD are as follows:
- Liberal Arts & Social Sciences KRW 4,886,000/$4,300
- Natural Science & Physical Education KRW 5,914,000/$5,200
- Engineering KRW 6,897,000/$6,065
- Art KRW 6,897,000/$6,065
- Health Science KRW 6,406,000/$5,630
- Medicine KRW 8,646/$7,600
- Pharmacy KRW 7,781,000/$6,840
Student Accommodation at Korea University
Korea University has two outstanding quality international dormitories, Anam Hall 2 and CJ International House. These facilities are limited, so best apply early to get a room assigned for you.
Anam Hall 2 is an air-conditioned, coed home for 84 students. Anam Hall 2 also offers triples rooms for three students in a traditional corridor style with shared bathrooms. Bathrooms are equipped with several shower stalls, toilets, and sinks. International students can buy a meal plan for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in regards to meals.
The meal plan is purchased every month at about KRW 112,500, valid for 45 meals (Individual coupon costs KRW 4,000) and is used at the Anam Residence Student Dining Hall, located between Anam Hall 1 and Anam Hall 2.
CJ International House is an air-conditioned, suite-style facility for 258 students and faculty. CJ International House offers single and double rooms with semi-private baths. Bathroom facilities are connected to the suite and are shared by the flatmates.
The meal plan for CJ International House costs KRW 6,000 and is valid for one meal. You can only use it on the 1st floor of CJ International House during the opening hours (7:30 am – 9:00 am Monday through Saturday).
For more information, contact the Accommodations office at [email protected]
You can also choose to stay off-campus. Accommodations around Korea University cost about KRW 300,000 to 600,000 per month, depending on its conditions.
Korea University Scholarships for International Students
There are two types of scholarships at Korea University. Scholarship A and Scholarship B or Type A and Type B.
Scholarship A grants the successful applicant with full tuition or a 100% waiver for eight semesters.
Scholarship B grants the successful applicant a 50% tuition fee waiver for eight semesters.
To renew the scholarship, students must meet a specific GPA and credits.
1. Scholarship for Entering Students
Scholarship Type: A and B
One of the best scholarships at Korea University is called Scholarships for Entering Students, which is solely based on the applicant’s academic qualifications. Applicants with the excellent result are given priority.
Students can be granted either scholarship A or Scholarship B. Depending on which one they qualify for.
Scholarship for Current Students
Scholarship Type: A and B
There are three Korea University scholarships accessible to current students:
- Academic Excellence Scholarship.
- Academic Improvement Scholarship.
- Need-Based Scholarship.
Academic Excellence Scholarship is for students with outstanding grades from the previous semester.
The Academic Improvement Scholarship is for students who can improve their academic marks from the previous semester.
The Need-Based Scholarship is for students in need of financial aid.
1. Global Leader Scholarship
Scholarship Type: A only
The scholarship covers 100% of the entrance fees, tuition fees, and dormitory fees. The global leader scholarship is one of the best scholarships for international graduate students studying at Korea University.
Three requirements need to be met to qualify for Global Leader Scholarship.
- Applicants must have a good GPA.
- English Proficiency scores.
- Students should be recommended by the department and have permission from the dean of the graduate school.
Students are granted a global leader scholarship that covers a full-tuition waiver, including dormitory fees, when all conditions are met.
2. Humanities and Social Sciences Scholarship
Scholarship Type: B only
The scholarship covers only a 60% tuition fee. Entrance fees are not included in the scholarship.
To qualify for this Korea University scholarship, Applicants must:
1. Have a minimum GPA of 3.5 out of 4.5, 3.36 out of 4.3, 3.14 out of 4.0, or 85 out of 100 from their previous school.
2. A language proficiency level should be met, such as a minimum score of TOEFL(PBT) 553, TOEFL(iBT) 82, TEPS 620 (New TEPS 337), IELTS 6.0, or TOPIK level 4.
3. Be recommended by the department and have permission from the dean of the graduate school.
All of these requirements must be met to be eligible for the Humanities and Social Science Scholarship. Qualified applicants will benefit from a 60% tuition fee discount, which does not include the separate fee for the entrance fee.
FAQ about Korea University
Can I transfer to a Korean university?
Yes, you can. Generally, transfer applicants must hold foreign citizenship and complete 16 years of education from primary to tertiary level.
Can I have a part-time job?
All current international students who study in a full-time undergraduate degree program can work part-time during the semester. Undergraduate students are permitted to work 25 hours a week during the semester. You need to fill out a ‘Part-time Work of Foreign Student Confirmation’ form and get the employer’s signature on it.
What are the scholarships option available for undergraduate international students at Korea University?
There are three undergraConfirmation’ship opportunities.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship (covers 100% of tuition fee)
- Academic Improvement Scholarship (covers 50% of tuition fee)
- Need-based Scholarship (covers 50% of tuition fee)
I achieved a high GPA. Why was not I awarded the scholarship?
Academic Excellence Scholarship is awarded to students who have a high GPA based on the relative evaluation process. The academic performance of current students may differ from semester to semester, which results in variable cut-off GPA every semester.