How To Make A Heart Out Of A Gum Paper: Gum paper is a sheet of paper that has been soaked in a sugar solution and dried, resulting in a paper with slightly sticky properties. The process of making gum paper is typically done by folding, unfolding, and refolding the paper several times until it becomes more pliable and more thoroughly coated with sugar.
Making a heart out of gum paper can be a fun activity to do with children during Valentine’s Day, in school projects, or even as part of a Valentine’s Day celebration at home. You can make the heart with just one fold, creating a simple and quick design, or you can make the heart more ornate by making several folds.
Making simple paper hearts is ideal for young children who are just learning how to fold paper into shapes. Making a gum paper heart is a great way to get them into the holiday spirit while helping them learn how to fold and cut with scissors. It is also an excellent activity for children who have some difficulty using their hands as they can make the heart using only their arms.
A sheet of gum paper
The most common forms of gum paper are a small square and a larger square, but there is more variation in size and shape. There are rectangular gum papers as well as long strips of gum paper. Many other shapes and sizes exist, both in fictional and real-world examples.
How To Make A Heart Out Of Gum Paper
- Bend the corners on each side down to create a V shape on either end.
- Fold the wrapper in half horizontally so the V points meet.
- Fold the right and left sides up at the middle crease so the V points are vertical.
- Then fold down the points to create the heart.
1. Bend the corners on both ends of the V shape down to create a square
Take your gum paper and run it through your hands until it is thin enough that you can fold it into a square shape.
This can be done by rolling it into a coil with some space on the end for the index finger so that when you pull with your hands, it folds into a square instead of rolling flat.
Rolling gum paper has become more standard in modern times, as has used old gum paper, but if you’re just starting out, try folding first.
2. Fold the wrapper in half horizontally so the V points meet.
This can be done by simply folding the wrapper in half twice.
Fold the wrapper in half so that the corners meet, then fold both sides over to form a “V.”
Fold both ends of the V so that they meet and make a square.
Let’s repeat, folding two sides over to form a “V”, then folding both ends over to make a square.
You should now have finished one sheet of gum paper with an “X” on the end.
Again, fold down all four corners, leaving 1/4 inch of space on each side, and roll into a round tube.
3. Then fold the points down to form the heart.
This is done by folding the points down to create a heart shape.
After doing all of the steps above, you should have completed one sheet of gum paper with a heart shape on the end.
What Else Can A Paper Gum Make?
Paper gum can also be used to make the following items:
- A Chiclet gum
- A roach clip
- Office safe
- A beehive
- Sponge bob-shaped paper towel holder
- Wire mesh and wire rope for fences and chicken coops
- Something to keep small animals away from a large animal’s food bowl
- The building material for a house
- The building material for chicken coops
- A structure for an antenna
- A structure for a water tank or battery stand
- A structure for a hen house or pigeon loft
- A fence, used as such to keep animals in or out of a certain area,
- A lamp holder on a table that holds the shade up with the paper gum attached to the end of the lampshade by aluminum foil and with wires connecting to a lamp base that is connected to an outlet or battery pack
And so on.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of paper is used for gum wrappers?
Chewing gum inner wrapper is produced out of aluminum paper laminate with wax or glue application. Aluminum paper laminate – wax or glue application. The material is lacquered or printed and or embossed.
Is bubble gum paper or plastic?
One item in particular might shock you — chewing gum! A key ingredient in most chewing gums is polyvinyl acetate (plastic) which is also used in the production of glue, plastic bags, and bottles. Ick! Plastic is the ingredient that makes chewing gum.
Is it safe to swallow gum?
Although chewing gum is designed to be chewed and not swallowed, it generally isn’t harmful if swallowed. Folklore suggests that swallowed gum sits in your stomach for seven years before it can be digested. But this isn’t true. If you swallow gum, it’s true that your body can’t digest it.
What is simply gum paper made of?
Launched in 2013, Simply Gum contains only six ingredients: chicle, organic dried cane juice, organic vegetable glycerin, organic sunflower lecithin, organic rice flour and natural flavor
Does chewing gum help the jawline?
While chewing gum can help you strengthen your jaw muscles and, over time, help create a larger and squarer-looking jawline, it may not be noticeable without additional considerations such as weight loss in the face. In addition, regular gum chewing can contribute to unwanted side effects.
- Instructables.com – Easy Steps To Making Gum Hearts
- Ehow.com – How To Make gum Wrapper Hearts
- Ethique.com – Is chewing Gum made of Plastics?