These scooters are inexpensive, lightweight, and have the optimal combination of speed and range for getting to, from, and across campus without using public transportation.
An electric scooter is a must if you want a stress-free and relaxed way to go between your dorm room and campus. You’ll never be late to class again, bedraggled and sweating from missing your morning alarm and having to run the whole way to class or the exam hall.
Several scooters would be ideal for this task, but I’ve reduced it down to just three. The rest are not good enough, but these three are just the best you can get out there.
We’ve selected a set of scooters that are affordable, safe, and reliable enough for everyday riding, whether you’ve headed off to college or university yourself or helping your kids get ready for the new school year.
- Range: The scooter range is incredibly essential, as it varies greatly depending on the battery capacity and weight. If you’re riding an e-scooter around campus, you might not be able to recharge it until you get home at the end of the day, so be sure it doesn’t run out of power before your last class. Nobody likes to return to their hostel with a dead scooter.
- Price: This is another factor to consider. Although, the cheapest scooters on the market are often of low long-term value. The build quality is lower, there’s a chance you won’t get a warranty or service, and the specs aren’t up to par.
Take, for example, brakes. In an emergency, disc brakes will allow you to stop your scooter swiftly and safely (especially if you’ve gained speed heading downhill). Aninexpensivee scooter, on the other hand, might feature a foot brake, requiring you to stop by stamping on the back mudguard. It’s ineffective, inconvenient, and dangerous.
- Speed: Speed is one factor that isn’t as significant. Because you’re unlikely to be the only scooter rider at a college or university, cruising at a slower speed may be advantageous allowing you to turn more quickly and prevent accidents. Slowing down will help the battery on your scooter last longer between charges.
These factors are the basis that I will use to analyze each of the five scooters listed in this article.
- 1 Best Electric Scooters For A College Student
- 2 Mijia M365 (Xiaomi) [Best For Battery Life]
- 3 Pros:
- 4 Cons:
- 5 Xiaomi MI Essential Electric Scooter
- 6 Pure Air Go
- 7 ES2 Segway Ninebot
- 8 Pure Air Pro
- 9 What Is The Best Scooter For College Students?
- 10 Is Electric Scooter Worth It In College?
- 11 What Can I Do To Avoid Having My Electric Scooter Being Stolen?
- 12 Related
Best Electric Scooters For A College Student
Mijia M365 (Xiaomi) [Best For Battery Life]
The Xiaomi Mijia M365 is one of my favorite scooters for students because it is light and students. After all, it is light and very cheap.
I recommend this because the scooter is superb all around. The Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (also known as the M365) is the world’s most popular e-scooter.
This scooter can go to a range of 18 miles in total, and this I,s one of its main selling advantages (enough for several days of zipping around campus). Your actual mileage will vary depending on various circumstances, including any hills and the type of terrain you’re riding on. Still, at this price point, that’s an impressive statistic.
With a top speed of 15 mph, the Mi Electric Scooter is relatively quick, but going at a little slower pace will help you extend its range and avoid bringing 12.5kg of scooter home at the end of the day.
Dual brakes help you stop swiftly and safely in an emergency without tipping the scooter forward, and the build quality is solid, even though we prefer scooters with internal cables (they look neater and are less prone to damage or vandalism).
- It’s durable
- The electric scooter is water-resistant.
- It is loaded with complete safety, particularly in the braking system.
- It can go for a total of 30 km before recharging
- The maximum weight that it can lift is 100 kg. If you weigh more than that, you can’t use it.
- You can’t use it on rough terrain
Xiaomi MI Essential Electric Scooter
The Xiaomi Mi Essential is a well-made electric scooter with all of the essential features. However, people weren’t thrilled with the Xiaomi Mi Essential when it originally came out in 2020. Its statistics were about what you’d expect from an entry-level scooter, with a top speed of 12.4 mph and a maximum range of 12.4 miles. Still, its price was significantly greater than similar gadgets like Segway-Ninebot.
However, the Xiaomi Mi Essential’s price has dropped dramatically in only a few months, making it one of the best-value electric scooters on the market today and an excellent alternative for kids returning to school.
Although slower than the Mijia 365, this updated model has a more durable structure that will withstand the rigors of college life and keep rolling. It also has significantly less exposed cabling and is slightly lighter. This might be the better option if you’re searching for an electric scooter that can take a beating.
- It can go up to a range of 20km
- It has improved tires and wheels
- It’s suitable on rough terrains
- It can go up to a speed of 12.4mph
- The scooter can only carry 100 kg / 220 lbs of weight on its deck so if you weigh more, it wouldn’t move
Pure Air Go
If you’ve never ridden an e-scooter before, the Pure Air Go is a great place to start.
Pure Electric manufacturing company produces some of the best electric scooters on the market, and Pure Air Go is the company’s latest model. It doesn’t have the same raw power as its bigger model, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. If you’re new to scooting, its smoother acceleration will be easier to handle, and its lower price will be best for you if you have a limited budget.
I have also discovered that it struggled a little with certain steeper hills, which is to keep in mind because students who plan to go through a more challenging terrain will benefit from something more powerful.
- It can go a wide range of distance
- It’s a powerful motor with excellent handling
- It’s waterproof and can go through a rough terrain
- The scooter is heavy
- No cruise control feature
- Security is an issue because the motor lock is a bit weak
ES2 Segway Ninebot
The Segway Ninebot ES2 isn’t inexpensive; it’s well built and will withstand any fall you will have while riding it. The Segway Ninebot ES2 is a sturdy, fast scooter designed with internal cables for students with wider pockets. This scooter is one of the most well-known electric scooters at the moment; Segway is also making significant progress, notably in the United States and North America as a whole. The Segway Ninebot ES2 is one of the company’s most economical scooters, but it boasts some remarkable features and is a popular choice among students traveling to university or college.
It has a top speed of 15mph, which is significantly faster than the Xiaomi Mi Essential above, and it can go even faster, with a maximum range of 15.5mph in ideal conditions. It’s also well-built, with all cords neatly stowed away inside and full suspension to cushion you from life’s minor jolts. However, it is more expensive, so it comes down to your priorities.
The ES2’s range can be extended further by connecting an auxiliary battery.
- It’s very affordable
- Suitable steeps, hills, and other challenging terrains
- It’s lightweight
- It’s very fast with a top speed of 15km/hr
- It can’t go a long distance without the secondary battery
- The app designed for the scooter can perform limited functions.
Pure Air Pro
If you’re already used to riding an e-scooter, the Pure Air Pro will help you get around campus with ease.
For students, a very durable, water-resistant scooter. The Pure Air Pro is a powerful electric scooter from British manufacturer Pure Electric, meant to endure years – even if you’re studying somewhere with bad weather, where you’ll be riding it through more than a few puddles. It is, in fact, one of the few electric scooters with an IP65 water-resistant rating.
Its top speed of 15.5 mph is comparable to most of the scooters on this list, and its range of 22 miles is more than adequate. Its maximum load capacity is considerably higher than that of most scooters.
The Pure Air Pro can lift to 120kg without breaking a sweat however, the Xiaomi M365 Pro is only rated for loads up to 100kg. If you have a lot of heavy textbooks in your study, this is ideal.
It’s not inexpensive, so you’ll have to be sure you’ll use it between classes regularly, but it will last you until you graduate (and beyond).
What Is The Best Scooter For College Students?
The Xiaomi Mijia M365 is the best scooter for college students.
I recommend this because the scooter is superb all around. The Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter (also known as the M365) is the world’s most popular e-scooter. Let’s use the factors we listed above to have a comprehensive look at this scooter:
- Range: This scooter can go to a range of 18 miles in total, and this is one of its main selling advantages (enough for several days of zipping around campus). Your actual mileage will vary depending on a variety of circumstances, including any hills and the type of terrain you’re riding on. Still, at this price point, that’s an impressive statistic.
- Speed: With a top speed of 15 mph, the Mi Electric Scooter is also relatively quick, but going at a little slower pace will help you extend its range and avoid bringing 12.5kg of scooter home at the end of the day.